Friday, February 25, 2005

Conservatives and Homosexuality

Between Jeff Gannon/Guckert and Dick Cheney's daughter, it seems pretty obvious that the left in America has a problem with homosexuals that oppose them. Or at least they think we're supposed to have a problem with them when they're "discovered" on our side.

For the record, I'll state my position on homosexuals, homosexuality, and gay marriage:

I doubt you could find an issue that is less threatening to me than homosexuality. By its very nature it has nothing to do with me, I'm heterosexual. If anything, I should be happy with the reduced competition for females out there. I do find acts of homosexuality unsavory, but again, I'm a heterosexual, that seems to make sense. It just doesn't turn my world on end.

In terms of homosexuals, the actual people, I have to admit that at times I have a hard time relating. However, those are times when someone is extremely open and talkative about it, and I just find myself unsure if I'm acting normal. I bet 99% of the time I don't even know if someone is gay at all, which again makes sense, because it has nothing to do with me.

Gay marriage is a little more complex and conflicting for me, but I personally feel like the state shouldn't be involved in religious institutions, and there should only be universal civil unions. Marriages should be kept within church, and I think it's sad how much energy is being wasted "protecting" a governement institution, when it's the religious portion that should be important.

So that's that, I don't even know if those views are offensive to anyone, but I hope it's clear that I'm relatively nice to people.

What really puzzles me is the left's reaction to gay people on the right. They really seem to relish the discovery of a homosexual in our midst, and I know a lot of it is, "Ooh, the party of the religious right, what hypocrisy!" And I'm sure for some few on our side it is somehow distasteful. But not for the vast bulk of the party, and I personally think it'll be good for us moving forward to have more varied input, so we might actually get less government involvement in everybody's lives.

It's fairly entertaining to watch, because the "tolerant" left sounds pretty intolerant when they bring the issues up. "Can you believe Cheney has a GAY daughter? A GAY guy got a day pass at the White House? Unbelievable." The emphasis on their homosexuality is nothing but gay-baiting, an attempt to increase tensions with homosexuals on our side, and while I think it's disgusting, it's not surprising when you remember Clarence Thomas and other conservatives being called Uncle Toms.

We're not exactly perfect in our interactions with homosexuals, but I hope in time that as a group they will move more towards our maybe slowish, but honest, acceptance, and away from the claimed tolerance, but ultimate hostitlity toward any differences on the left.

No comments: