Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Should We Root Against The Dems?

Today is one of those days I wish I had someone else's traffic, because I'd really like to have an answer to this question. Between John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, Ted Kennedy, just about any journalist, I think the Democrats have lost some credibility. And now with Dean's likely path to the DNC chairmanship, I've felt very good about the position the Republicans are in. I'd guess most Republicans feel similarly.

But lately I've been wondering if what appears like a bit of a losing streak on the Democrat side isn't bad to some degree for everyone. Is it good for us as Republicans when one of our two major parties becomes a joke? If you think of politics as a marketplace of ideas, I wouldn't think it is. The bulk of the ideas coming from the Democrats boil down to, "We're not Bush." I don't think it can stay that way, but I do wonder whether bad news for the Democrats is always good news for Republicans.

What I think it comes down to is whether it's better for Republicans in general to be in power and stay there, or for the Republicans to be met with the competition of a lively Democrat party. I definitely want to continue to win, I just wonder if it matters what we're winning against.

Which is exactly why I wish I had a pile of readers, because I'm certain many would have better insight on this.

My instinct is to think that more vigorous competition and close elections would be good for everyone, as it would normally be in a market situation for consumers. Dominance of one side would not normaly be good for consumers. But in the majority of races on the national level, in the House and in the Senate, when a seat is uncertain, it seems like the safest path to reelection is bringing home federal funds and working toward power in Washington instead of working on new or innovative ideas.

With safer seats and power in general, would the Republicans act more like Republicans are supposed to? Because so far I haven't been totally impressed with the size of government. I'm really hoping that further gains for the Republicans will lead to faster change and not complacency.

I suppose until I know, I'll follow my heart and keep rooting for more failures and jokes from the Democrats.

3 comments:

Roonie said...

Your party may be up now, but don't forget: what comes up, must come down!

Morgan said...

No question about that, I'd just like us to get some things done besides overspending first. Also, if we come down soon, I'd rather it be to a Democrat like Truman or JFK than to someone like Kerry.

Thanks for reading.

Shavonne said...

I almost didn't vote in the last election. I would have really liked to see two candidates that were worthy of the position of President of the United States.