Saturday, July 09, 2005

Shouldn't We Have Learned This Stuff Somewhere?

You know, if there was a way to get every voter to read the very basics on statistics and economics, I think there'd be a lot fewer ridiculous news stories, claims, and crises to deal with. Or at the very least, the completely worthless studies and stories would get less traction.

To that end-- read these, I am. I feel bad not choosing Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics, but these are both paperback:

Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt - Roughly $9 new.

Practical Statistics Simply Explained by Langley Russell - Roughly $12 new.

Just imagine all the garbage and noise that could be discounted if this could be considered common sense again.

When I hear about George Washington feeling self-conscious about not having really learned his Latin and Greek in his few years of formal schooling, well, I puke just a little bit when I think about my 12 years of public schooling.

No comments: