Saturday, November 19, 2005

Tough Luck Johnny

It seems Johnny Depp just can't find a home he likes these days, and I for one couldn't feel less sorry for him.

I don't really like his acting to begin with, but I like him even less for badmouthing America from his adopted home of France. "I was very lucky that something steered me to France back in '98... Thank God we escaped." You know, from the greed, wars for oil, etc. "What's it really all about? It's about dough; it's about money. That's ugly." And France's involvement in Oil for Food, selling arms to Saddam, and opposing our intervention? No, that's pure principle, that's beautiful.

But apparently the honeymoon is over, as even his deep myopia was shattered with the recent riots. "It's insane, that setting cars on fire is the new strike. I went there (to France) to live because it seemed so simple. Now it's anything but. I don't know how they'll recover from this."

I don't wish him ill, but it is entertaining. He sat back in France and laughed at America, as though ignoring the problems in the world, and those in France, was all it takes to live a peaceful life. That confronting a problem was somehow the same as causing the problem in the first place.

I doubt he'll learn, though. Most likely he blames us for Paris, as well.

No comments: